Are you trying to maximize your social media marketing efforts? If so, then the 80/20 rule is a must-know concept for you. The 80/20 rule of social media marketing states that 80% of your content should be dedicated to providing value, such as helpful tips and advice, while only 20% should be used for promotional purposes. In this blog post, we will discuss the importance of the 80/20 rule and how it can help you maximize the results of your social media marketing strategy.

What is the 80/20 rule?

The 80/20 rule, also known as the Pareto principle, is a principle of business management and economics that states that 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. In the context of social media marketing, this means that 80% of the outcomes from your efforts in social media marketing should come from 20% of your resources. This suggests that you should prioritize investing in the activities and strategies that will bring you the most benefit. For example, if you’re using multiple social media platforms for marketing, you should focus on the platform that produces the best results for you, rather than evenly distributing your efforts across all platforms. Here is a video explanation to the rule:

By focusing your efforts on activities that produce the most results, you can maximize your time and resources and achieve better outcomes with less effort.

How can you use the 80/20 rule in your social media marketing?

The 80/20 rule can be applied to many different aspects of your social media marketing strategy, including the types of content you post and the overall messaging of your brand.

When it comes to content, the 80/20 rule suggests that 80% of your posts should focus on providing valuable and engaging content that educates, entertains, or inspires your audience, while the remaining 20% should be dedicated to promoting yourself, your products, or services. This means that if you have 10 posts a week, 8 of them should be focused on delivering content that adds value for your audience and 2 should promote your own brand.

This approach allows you to maintain a good balance between sharing content that your audience wants to consume and promoting yourself and your products. Additionally, by following this approach you can ensure that your brand is seen as more than just another sales pitch, but instead is seen as an authoritative source of valuable information.

When it comes to your overall messaging, the 80/20 rule encourages brands to focus on 80% of their messages on their core values and mission, and then use the remaining 20% for promotional messages or ads. This ensures that the majority of your messaging is consistent with your brand’s mission and values, and keeps your followers informed about what you believe in.

Overall, the 80/20 rule can be used to help guide many aspects of your social media marketing strategy, helping you to create a balanced and effective strategy that will engage your audience and promote your brand.

What are some examples of the 80/20 rule in action?

The 80/20 rule is a simple, yet powerful guideline that can be applied to many areas of marketing, including social media. It can be used to ensure that your content is engaging, interesting, and balanced.

For example, if you post 80% valuable content (such as educational articles or interesting infographics) and 20% promotional content (such as posts about upcoming sales or discounts), you’ll be following the 80/20 rule.

This ratio can also be applied to the type of content you share. For example, if you share 80% content from other people (such as other people’s blog posts or links to news stories) and 20% content from your own website (such as blog posts from your own site), you’ll be following the 80/20 rule.

You can also use the 80/20 rule in terms of how often you post. If you post 80% of your content on weekdays and 20% of it on weekends, you’ll be following the 80/20 rule.

The 80/20 rule is an excellent way to ensure that your content is balanced and interesting. By adhering to this ratio, you can make sure that your social media accounts are engaging and effective.

How can you make sure you’re following the 80/20 rule?

The 80/20 rule is a great guideline for ensuring that your social media marketing efforts are successful and beneficial. To make sure you’re following the 80/20 rule, it’s important to keep track of the ratio of promotional content to nonpromotional content that you’re sharing on your social channels.

To get started, create a tracking system. Whether you use a spreadsheet or a note-taking app, use it to track the content you share on each platform and the ratio of promotion to non-promotion in each post. This will help you stay organized and focused on keeping your content balanced.

You can also consider setting up automated notifications or email reminders to yourself to stay on track with the 80/20 rule. If you’re having trouble keeping your content balanced, these reminders can be a helpful way to stay accountable and ensure that you’re not too promotional.

Finally, regularly review your tracking system to make sure that you’re keeping your content within the 80/20 ratio. You may even find opportunities to further refine your content strategy or come up with new ideas for engaging non-promotional content. When you regularly review your tracking system, you can keep your content balanced and engaging for your followers.

Best Marketing Agency in LA: One Part of a Larger Plan

If you’re a business owner in the Los Angeles area, you know that getting your message out there can be a challenge. With so many competitors vying for the same customer base, it can be difficult to stand out from the crowd and get your business noticed.

That’s where hiring a top-notch marketing agency comes in. The right marketing agency can help you create an effective marketing plan that stands out from the competition and ensures your business is reaching its target audience.

When it comes to marketing agencies in LA, there are a few important things to consider. First, you want to make sure that the agency you choose is experienced and knowledgeable about the specific market you’re trying to reach. This ensures that their strategies are tailored to your particular customer base and that they understand the nuances of this particular market.

You also want to make sure that your chosen marketing agency is up to date with the latest trends and techniques. Marketing strategies change quickly, so having an agency on board that knows what works and what doesn’t is key to success.

Finally, the best marketing agencies understand that social media marketing is only one part of a larger plan. They should be able to work with you to develop a comprehensive strategy that includes everything from content creation to SEO optimization.

By selecting the best marketing agency in LA for your needs, you can have confidence that your business is being represented professionally and effectively. This will ensure that you reach the right people and get the maximum benefit from your marketing efforts.


The 80/20 rule is an important concept to understand when it comes to social media marketing. Following the rule can help you create content that is both engaging and effective in reaching your target audience. By ensuring that 80% of your posts are helpful, educational, and entertaining and the remaining 20% is promotional, you can ensure that your followers are getting a mix of both content that resonates with them and valuable offers. Additionally, make sure to plan ahead to include other methods of marketing such as PPC, email marketing, and a content-rich website as part of your overall digital marketing strategy. Doing so will ensure your social media campaigns are more successful and lead to better results.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like